The holiday region has a multitude of museums, churches, chapels, castles and natural landmarks - Cultural holidays in South Tyrol
Whether nature, art or culture...almost every location has a special sight to show!
Regardless of where your holiday accommodation in Valle Aurina is located, various interesting sights and worthwhile trip destinations are only a short car journey away. The picturesque churches and chapels provide the opportunity to find a little peace and quiet as well allowing visitors to admire valuable artistic treasures from the past.
The Mining Museum is located in the middle of Cadipietra, the former administrative centre of the Predoi Mine. It houses the extensive mining collection of the Enzenberg family and interactive exhibits, which tell the story of copper mining in Valle Aurina. Precious wooden models, paintings and artistically decorated mine maps, books, documents and finds from the mine bring the history of mining in Valle Aurina to life.
For over 500 years, copper was mined in what is now the Predoi Mining Museum, located near the Rio Rosso river. A pit train takes visitors into the St.Ignatius show mine, past exhibitions depicting mining methods and the hard labour undertaken by miners in the past. Expert guides accompany visitors and explain the different processes of copper extraction.
The Climatic Tunnel in Predoi, a place of peace, rest and relaxation is located approximately 1,100 m inside the mountain. In disused mine tunnels, a special micro-climate emerges in particular conditions and this climate is especially good for people with respiratory problems. Here they have the opportunity to focus on their health by inhaling pure, allergen and pollen free air.
The Kirchler Mineral Museum in San Giovanni, Valle Aurina, exhibits precious minerals from Valle Aurina, Alti Tauri and the Alpi Aurine, which have been collected by Josef Kirchler over several decades. Over 1,000 exhibits are on display in the museum: Quartz, feldspar, rutile, purple amethysts, fluorite, sparkling apatite, emeralds and titanite. In addition to the largest smoky quartz crystal in South Tyrol, the “Bergkristallgwindl” (a special alpine crystal formation from the Predoi mine) is another special attraction.
The Campo Tures Parish Museum is located in a former granary with an archway bearing the year 1559. The museum exhibits works of art from churches and chapels in Campo Tures and the surrounding area. There are also liturgical objects and vestments to admire, dating from the Baroque period all the way to the present day. Of particular note is the Molini di Tures nativity scene (c. 1500) and the Trinity Cross of St. Maurizio (c. 1750).
The Museum of Mountain Farming “Zum Falkenstein” in Predoi explores the history of the area. The Falkenstein estate can be reached by a 20-minute walk.
Tures Castle is one of the most beautiful and largest castle complexes in the entire alpine region. The Lords of Tures once held a lot of power in Tyrol. At the beginning of the 20th century, the castle was renovated by Ludwig Lobmayr and has been maintained under the administration of Hieronymus Gassner since 1945. Today, around one third of the complex is open to the public. As the castle never faced attacks and destruction, the furnishings have been maintained almost without damage and offer an interesting insight into castle life of the past.
The Vedrette di Ries – Aurina Nature Park Visitors Centre in Campo Tures is a glimpse into what awaits at the Vedrette di Ries- Aurina Nature Park. As soon as they reach the entrance, visitors are given a unique overview of the area through a film taken from an eagle's perspective. A three-dimensional relief gives multi-media information about the mountains, trails, huts, lakes and waterfalls of the area. A time pendulum structure explains how the mountains came to be, while a stone puzzle shows the geological structure. Young and old will be amazed by altitudes of over 3,000 m, glacier shrinkage, minerals, and much more.
The Baroque Church of St. Giovanni was built in the 18th century (1783-1785) and was consecrated in 1788. The paintings were created by Franz Joseph Schöpf, while the main and side altars were made by Jakob Santer.
The three Riva Waterfalls in the Vedrette di Ries – Aurina Nature Park are especially striking in summer and can be reached from the village of Bad Winkel.